Last week in my Case Studies class, my professor asked the class who all reads the newspaper. I was one of two people, or so, who did not raise their hand. Essentially, he told us that to be an effective PR practitioner we need to read the news paper to know what is going on in the world. I laughed to myself at what he had told us, and told myself that I would continue to pick up newspapers to do the puzzles in between classes.
Today, as I was reading through others’ blog posts, I noticed that I had not idea about most of the stuff in the news that they were writing about. Not to mention I had a hard time thinking of a topic to write about. Although I find most of the news this day and age not news worthy, I found out first hand that it definitely pays to know what is going on.
Reasons PR people should read the newspaper:
- Keep up with new trends
- To know what is going on outside of your organization
- Learn from others’ mistakes
- Get to know how the journalists write in case you decide to pitch a story to them
- News about your organization
- News that could affect your organization